Hello

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 12: Its about Twelve (O'clock)!



Haven't posted in a while, but I am still going for it with Uberman! I have had quite a lot of mishaps but I am not giving up yet. Lots of oversleeping but I am pinpointing them problems and will soon be back at it!
The biggest issue I had was the other night I missed a nap at a party (well worth it, was a real blast!). That night I overslept my 3am nap by 2 hours and felt really groggy. The next day I also overslept by sleeping right through my alarm, despite the fact that I put it right next to my face. I need to get a new alarm because it seems that I have developed an immunity to this one.
There are several things that I am starting to figure out that may help prevent oversleeping. The main danger of oversleeping comes when you enter Slow-wave Sleep (SWS), aka. deep sleep. This is the deepest form of sleep and is very hard to wake up from. Waking up from it also leaves you groggy for some time after.
Some studies have shown that people tend to enter SWS more often when they have a high body temperature. Therefore, I am starting to keep the temperature lower when I nap so I do not enter SWS as easily.
The duration of my naps may be a big problem too. When I started, I would set my timer for 25 minutes, figuring I would need 5 minutes to fall asleep. Now, however, I fall asleep instantly and 25 minutes is too long, leaving me in SWS sometimes when I wake up (or fail to wake up). I am going to start putting me alarm at 20 minutes from now on and see if that helps.
Due to these mishaps with oversleeping, my adaptation may take a little longer, but I am confident I can still succeed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment